An author from France and the Ivory Coast
writing in French
[Return to French Page originale en français]
Michèle Assamoua was a teacher and a school counsellor. She was born in France in 1941. After visiting the Ivory Coast (her husband's birthplace) for the first time in 1961, the family settled there in 1964. For more than twenty years, she lived in Bingerville. She is the mother of four children. Her hobbies include writing, both watercolour and oil painting and yoga. At retirement, Michèle Assamoua returned to France with her husband (who passed away in 2001) and she now (2012) lives in Provence.
Le Défi [The Challenge]. Abidjan: Les Nouvelles Editions Africaines, 1984. (185p.). Short stories. ISBN:2-7236-0628-7.
A second edition of the collection was published by L'Harmattan in Paris in 2012 under the title "Le Défi. Couples mixtes en Côte d'Ivoire". (146p.). ISBN: 978-2-296-96697-0.
This work is divided into five parts, each describing the destiny of a couple where the woman is French and the man from Ivory Coast :
- Christine and her husband escape the racism in Paris by fleeing to Abidjan, but it is not long before they encounter many other problems...
- Nanine follows her husband to Abidjan but she finds it difficult to adapt to her new surroundings...
- In the face of the hostility shown to her by her husband's family, Nicole finally decides to leave her husband...
- Annie decides to return to France with her children when she learns that Lucien has taken a second wife...
- Diane et Serge must undergo all kinds of humiliations before finding peace and happiness.
The University of Western Australia/French
Created: 26 November 1996
Modified: 24 September 2012
Archived: 28 November 2013